Saturday, October 18, 2014

CRX steering wheel repair

 How to repair "twisty" crx steering wheel


My CRX steering wheel was shot. So I bought one at pick-and pull for $20, but it twisted at the top. Here is my repair.
 I drilled 1/8" holes from back side with cobalt drill bit through vinyl and metal
 Here is glue I used b/c it had a nice nozzle tip. It actually did not really bind, next time I would use epoxy or something, though i think it does help the pin to vinyl interface.
 I injected the adhesive into the holes.
 I know it flowed because it oozed out of adjacent holes
 Here are the holes filled
 Then I put in 3/4", 1/8" diameter split pins
Here they all are ready to be hammered in



And here they are hammered in. Not noticeable when grabbing wheel. Let cure for ~2 days, and you are GTG! Wheel now does not rotate much, though does still rotate some; i attribute this to the glue choice, and suggest epoxy. But the pins really work in limiting movement.

No comments:

Post a Comment